My home, my Tūrangawaewae. Visit Milnthorpe park, crafted by Dick Nicholl’s slasher. Wander down the beach to Collingwood. Have a swim in the Parapara river, a feed of oysters from the estuary, and climb Parapara Peak, my mountain. Milnthorpe is the best spot in Golden Bay!
The Wild West
- Kaihoka Lakes- Sandhill lakes, wild beach and nikau!
- Wharariki- The most famous beach in Golden Bay
- Westhaven Inlet - wild, untouched estuary and marine reserve
- Farewell Spit - 38km in bare feet!
- Paturau - Limestone country on the wild west coast
- Kahurangi Point - wander down the beach to see the lighthouse glow
- Mangarakau and Lake Otuhie - take a walk in the swamp!
- Aorere Goldfields -Caves, manuka, and great views!
- Collingwood - Nearly the capital of New Zealand!
- Bainham - Lorna Langford has retired!
- Mount Burnett - breast shaped mountain
- Mount Stevens - super views over Bainham
- Lead Hills and Boulder Lake - 6 hour tramp in from Bainham
Cobb Lake – Barron Flat
38km of single lane road takes you to the Cobb Dam. Plenty of tramping to do in here, and hard-core mountainbiking. Read the “Exiles of Asbestos Cottage” to get an idea of how the old timers really lived.